Peps' Film Wrap-up: The Witch

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/reviews/657469-the-witch-review#/slide/1I think it must have been all the Creepy Catalog entries that I've been reading lately. When I can't get my groove in reading books, because of the constant disruptions or short reading time, I turn to short stories online. And I found that the short story format is the perfect way for me to enjoy horror, because... well, they're short and you don't have to dwell on them too long. When I decided to forego chores one day while the little one took her nap, I settled in to watch a film (or half of it, depending on how long she'll be out for the count). Given that I spent a few nights reading scary shorts, I decided to cross off The Witch from my viewing list.

A Puritan plantation in the 17th century banishes a family from their community. William (Ralph Ineson), along with his wife Katherine (Kate Dickie), eldest daughter Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy), son Caleb (Harvey Scrimshaw), and the fraternal twins Mercy (Ellie Grainger) and Jonas (Lucas Dawson), take all their earthly possessions and builds a farm at the edge of a secluded forest. As William tries to learn how they can survive the land, Katherine gives birth to their youngest, a boy they named Samuel. Thomasin helps to take care of her baby brother, but Samuel is taken, a first in a string of bad luck the family would experience in their very much isolated new home.

When it comes to horror, I prefer those that feature a subtlety in its storytelling, and if violence or gore would be featured at all, that they exist for a reason. When either are heavily featured just to glorify how bloody a film can be, you can expect me to be mentally checked out if you can even bother me to watch it.


http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/19/11059130/the-witch-director-robert-eggers-interview
The Witch, is in many ways, just my kind of horror film. There's a quietness to the film's storytelling, a definite parallel to the starkness of their surroundings and the isolation that proves to be pervasive all throughout its run. It is creepily gorgeous to behold. The horror involved doesn't come from scares that are meant to make you jump in your seat. What director Robert Eggers masterfully accomplishes is establishing a sense of dread that doesn't really leave you, a feeling that is only exacerbated to great effect by the well-placed background music.

http://time.com/4226147/review-the-witch-new-england-folktale/
This isn't also a film that just wants to give you a scare or leave you in uncomfortable anticipation. The Witch tackles the subject of religion and gender roles, but does so without seeming preachy to audiences. And questioning the tenets of faith and society will come naturally, because Thomasin is an easy character to empathize with. Another strength of the film is the commitment of the cast in their portrayals, but Anya Taylor-Joy definitely stands out and anchors the film with her portrayal of Thomasin.

I'm purposefully keeping my review short, because The Witch is a film you should view with as little knowledge about it as possible. What I can leave you with is the assurance that this is a film worth experiencing. It isn't just about the horror. It's about how it looks and sounds, and more so of how it makes you think and feel.

Happy viewing!!

Labels: , , ,