Peps' Anime Wrap-up: Kamisama Hajimemashita

image from MyAnimeList
What do you know...  I did end up finishing the entire season of Kamisama Hajimemashita, which I originally thought I would end up dropping from my fall anime viewing list.

I don't think the thought to drop the series would have crossed my mind if it weren't for the fact that it premiered in the same season as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Sukitte Ii na yo..  Or if the memory of Inu x Boku SS and its resident fox demon Miketsukami Soushi wasn't so fresh in my mind.

But I kept watching the next episode preview at the end of every airing, and I find myself intrigued enough to wait for the next installment of Kamisama Hajimemashita.

Momozomo Nanami finds herself homeless after her father runs out on her in an attempt to avoid debt collectors.  She ends up in a park, where she saves Mikage from a dog.  After hearing her story, Mikage offers his house as a sign of his gratitude, giving her a kiss on the forehead before going on his merry way.  Nanami arrives at the address and realizes that Mikage's home is actually a run-down shrine.  Much to her shock, familiars Onikiri and Kotetsu welcomes her as the new earth deity of the shrine.  Greeting her with way less enthusiasm and with much derision is the fox demon Tomoe, who holds a grudge against Mikage for transferring his earth deity powers to a mere human girl.  Nanami finds out that Mikage actually abandoned the shrine twenty years ago, leaving Tomoe, Onikiri and Kotetsu to care for it without a shrine master.  Nanami decides to make the most out of the situation and try to learn how to become an earth deity while still attending high school like a normal girl.

I found myself confused over whether I actually liked Kamisama Hajimemashita or not.  The anime series showed a less than stellar animation style and the characters can prove to be annoying at times.  Yet, at the other end of the spectrum, the series and its characters can ooze charm when it's really, really needed and in moments that would make you realize that it's enjoyable after all.  There were times when I thought that the storytelling lacked cohesion and a direction, yet sometimes found that the side stories were important in showcasing the best aspects of Nanami's personality and that the challenges they posed made her bond with Tomoe stronger in the process.  There was a time when I was confused on whether I just wanted the series to just be about Nanami's progress as an earth deity or whether it would be best to focus on her growing feelings for Tomoe.

I was confused.

Yet, somehow.... somehow, it all comes together for Kamisama Hajimemashita.

One of the series's strengths is its comedy.  As long as you don't overthink it, there's much to laugh about in Kamisama Hajimemashita, whether it's the physical comedy, the gags, the various accidents and misunderstandings Nanami goes through, and the eventual inside jokes that you would learn as a viewer of the series.  Even those that pose a threat to Nanami's life or role as an earth deity can prove to be humorous, particularly when showcasing their eccentricities or when cowering in terror when faced with the wrath of Tomoe.  It was actually the comedy that brought me back to Kamisama Hajimemashita during the times when I thought I was ready to drop it from my viewing list.

image from japanholic-girl
And then, there's the romance of it all.  Regardless of how caustic Tomoe's behavior towards Nanami is throughout the series, I don't think a single audience member wouldn't believe that there's a love angle in there somewhere.  I mean the mere act of making someone a familiar requires the deity to kiss that person/demon/entity/whatever.  Of course, things are never easy for an up-and-coming earth deity, what with Tomoe's tsundere and generally sour nature, how relationships between humans and demons aren't generally accepted, and all of the different challenges that Nanami has to face in her new role in life.  Yet, the series serves some pretty charming moments for the would-be couple (like as if it would lead anywhere else) and their final shared scene together was pretty sweet.

I think that Kamisama Hajimemashita could be much more... so much more.  Yet, it does make for decent viewing, offering a plethora of interesting characters, a cute love story and comedy in varying degrees.  While I wouldn't label it as a must-watch anime series, I'd still recommend it to those who would like to watch an anime of the supernatural/comedy/romance category that doesn't require much thinking.  And if you ever find yourself bored for any reason while watching the series, I can at least tell you that the storytelling does offer a great payoff in the final episode that featured resolutions for Nanami on both the earth deity duties and love fronts.

That, at least, was enough to help me get over my confusion.

Happy viewing!!

Labels: , , , , , ,