Peps' Anime Wrap-up: Brave 10

image from MyAnimeList
I received my first education about the Sengoku period or Warring States period of Japan because of a video game.  I'm sure that I must have encountered the historical event in other forms of media, but it wasn't until I played Samurai Warriors on the PS2 with my brother that I actually started remembering the key players in this particular historical period of Japan.

What would make me remember the Sengoku period more were the various anime titles that featured the historical figures as characters.  The last few years alone have introduced me to anime that featured the characters with magical abilities, in modern times, in gender bending roles and situations that were less grounded on action, but more on other genres that you wouldn't relate to the Sengoku period at all.

Brave 10 introduces us to Saizou Kirigakure, a ninja without a master, who encounters and saves a girl during his travels.  The girl is Isanami, an Izumo shrine maiden who is the lone survivor of a massacre and is trying to find her way to the land of Sanada Yukimura to seek sanctuary against her pursuers.  Isanami's arrival prompts Sanada to investigate the movements of the various forces in Japan and begins his plans to create a strong group of warriors to aid him in his cause.

The anime adaptation of Shimotsuki Kairi's manga series is a fictionalized depiction of the forming of the Sanada Ten Braves.  Starting with Saizou and Isanami, Sanada starts building the ten brave warriors that he considers will be pivotal in the coming war.  Isanami and her strange hair clip, the kushimitama, is sought after by various factions, and the growing group of brave warriors have to both protect her and find out the importance of the kushimitama.

I'm not familiar with the manga series version, so I can't say if it does a better job at storytelling than the anime.  Brave 10, unfortunately, is a generic anime series at best.  It tries to be an original piece of fiction, but there were too many elements that will make you feel that you've already seen it before... and better told, at that.

I stuck around and watched the entire series, because Brave 10 actually had a decent start.  I liked the idea of the gathering of brave warriors to fulfill a destiny, which is a theme that I've enjoyed in other anime titles and really didn't mind seeing again, provided that it's done well.

Unfortunately, with only 12 episodes to the series, the gathering of the characters takes place at a hurried pace.  This makes it difficult to invest in any of the characters, and distracts you enough from the characters that you thought you liked earlier in the series.  The same problem can be said of the villains, who came off as no more than minor hindrances along the way, no matter how strong they were.  The short run also makes it difficult to flesh out the story properly, with the relevant plot lines all but rushed.  Which is a shame, because Brave 10 featured an interesting concept, with a mystery that could have taken its time to unveil its real nature.  I found the fight scenes interesting, but not quite with the same impact as I would have wanted, especially since the final battles seem no different than the ones featured earlier in the series.

Brave 10, unfortunately, does not make it to my must-watch list.

Of its peers in my 2012 winter series picks list, Senki Zesshou Symphogear and Blackā˜…Rock Shooter did a better job in the action genre.

And if you wanted to watch something something that features the Sengoku period characters, even Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls would be a better choice.

Sorry, but there was no happy viewing for me with Brave 10.  I don't think there will be one for you, either.

Labels: , , , ,