Peps' Movie Wrap-up: Underworld: Awakening

image from primaryignition
Taking advantage of a much appreciated non working holiday (for them, at least), Marvin, Dennis, Tina, Allan and I watched Underworld: Awakening earlier today.

The latest installment in Len Wiseman's vampire and lycan film series, Underworld: Awakening begins with the discovery of the supernatural beings and the human's reaction to that discovery.  A purge takes place, which nearly wipes out the population of the immortal creatures.  After a botched attempt to escape the purge with Michael Corvin, Selene is captured and wakes up from a frozen state twelve years later.  She suddenly finds herself in a new world, with no idea of what happened to Michael.  She also contends with the fact that she has a teenage daughter, Eve, who is also a vampire-lycan hybrid.

This is the first movie review that I wrote that didn't earn the Must-Watch label in my blog.  I normally do not set expectations when watching movies, especially if I know that it was meant to be a popcorn film.  And I didn't set any when we decided to watch this film, even if I did enjoy its predecessors Underworld, Underworld: Evolution and Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.

I shudder to think how I would feel if I actually did set expectations.

The Underworld series of films have a moderate following, even if it does not generate as much buzz as other vampire series produced in the last few years.  It won't win any awards or critical acclaim, but I enjoyed it.  While the series featured the basic and well-known vampire versus lycan mythology, it showed an interesting take on how the war was continued to the present day.  Unfortunately, it would seem that filming a new installment was a misstep, even unnecessary.

While considered to be the next chapter in the series, Underworld: Awakening felt anything but.  The overall summary of the film promised something epic, now that humans have discovered the existence of the vampires and lycans.  While I felt less enthusiasm at the idea of Selene and Michael Corvin having a daughter, I was still interested to find out how that fit in the whole picture.  The end result, unfortunately, turned out to be a disjointed storyline that felt half-baked and seemed to only be glued together by the action scenes.  The movie lacked resolution, explanation and sense in many parts.

And the acting didn't help.  Kate Beckinsale have always played the character as one who didn't express much emotion.  Here, she was just wooden and seemed to struggle with how to show the occasional emotional breakdown, which she expressed with quivering lips and sometimes teary eyes that didn't quite evoke the empathy it should have.  While the series usually had a large cast, it's actually known for only having a few major characters, which is the same formula they used in Underworld: Awakening.  But unlike it's predecessors, this film featured uninteresting supporting characters.  And the villains were just bland.  I suddenly missed Bill Nighy's Viktor and  Michael Sheen's Lucian

In a way, Underworld: Awakening isn't all bad, especially if you like action films.  The action sequences were pretty good and I'm always appreciative when brain matter is involved in the aftermath of a well placed blow.  And there was a lot of brain matter, which kept me happy for some portions of the film.  Yet, I still have to say that even if I enjoyed the gratuitous violence, there was little else that kept me interested in a good way.

I just wish they could have done a better job with the rest of the film.  

Here are the comments, random thoughts and burning questions that cropped up when we were watching Underworld: Awakening.  I can't take credit for all of them.
image from bloodydisgusting
image from cheezburger
After all that, I guess all I can say is...

As long as you don't have much expectations and wouldn't mind watching a popcorn movie just for the action sequences or the sight of Kate Beckinsale in patent leather, then....

I hope you enjoy viewing it.

Labels: , , ,