Peps' Movie Wrap-up: In the Mood for Love

I wasn't planning to write about In the Mood for Love.  At least, not for my first movie blog entry, especially since the US summer movie season is still in full swing.  I had intended to write about the next movie that I would watch in the cinema.  In fact, I was sure this would have been about the last Harry Potter film.

But I just had to dedicate my first movie blog entry to In the Mood for Love.

I just had to.

I have always had the movie in my must-watch list, but only got to do so recently.  I know, right? Why the hell did I take so long to watch this?

In the Mood for Love is the story of two neighbors (Tony Leung Chiu-Wai & Maggie Cheung) who moved in with their respective spouses in the same apartment building in Hong Kong in 1962.  Since both of their spouses are either out of the country on business or on overtime shifts, they were usually alone in their own rooms.  After some time, both realize that their partners were having an affair with each other.  Bound by their twin roles as ones who were scorned by infidelity, the two forge a strange bond, initially trying to imagine how their spouses could have started the affair. 

Now, I won't say any more about the plot, because I want you to find out for yourself what happens to them.  Finding out about their partners cheating on them was just the tip of the iceberg.

There are three reasons why I wanted to watch In the Mood for Love...

First, I have always enjoyed the films of director Wong Kar-wai.  I particularly enjoyed 2046 which is the third part of an informal trilogy, the first being Days of Being Wild, followed by In the Mood for Love.  I know that I actually watched the movies in the wrong order, but I'm not bothered much by it.  Even had I not known about the other movies or that they were a trilogy, I would still finish the movie with the same sense of satisfaction. 

Second, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai (or Little Tony) was exceptional in his character as Chow Mo-wan.  I always find his performances riveting, regardless if he is just keeping still.  The man is a genius, and well-deserving of the acting award he received at the Cannes Film Festival for his performance.

And third, the on-screen chemistry between Tony Leung Chiu-Wai & Maggie Cheung.  They've worked together in a total of six films, and it somehow always comes across as a fresh experience for me.  Their performance in Zhang Yimou's Hero as lovers separated by their beliefs is still my favorite part of the movie.

Some people might think that the movie seems slow going, with scenes that seem to go on forever in slow motion, or just a stationary shot of the actors or just the background.  But for me, there was no wasted or gratuitous moment in the entire film.  In fact, there is no evidence that they took more than a year to finish filming, with Wong Kar-wai trying to find the way then to tell the story as it deserved to be told.

This is a movie that will stand the test of time, as attested by its ranking in several publications' best movie lists.  It might not kick ass in terms of fast-paced action and special effects.  The actors' performances, the beautiful cinematography and exceptional storytelling kicks ass in their own right.

I am still reeling over the effects of watching the film.  And it will stay with me for a long time to come.

So no, I don't regret writing about In the Mood for Love for my first movie blog entry.  I may never be able to give it justice with my words, but I hope to at least convey my appreciation for it. :)

Labels: , , ,